Freedom of Expression
The 9th ICAAP adopts International AIDS Society (IAS) Principle and Values of Conference Participation which has been used in previous congresses and conferences.
The 9th ICAAP endorses freedom of expression as an essential principle in the fight against HIV/AIDS and in promoting full participation in our Congress. The combined efforts of all stakeholders in the public and private sectors and civil society are required to halt and reverse the AIDS epidemic. Activism and advocacy contribute to advancing commitment, policy and practice aimed at ending the epidemic.
The right to participate at an IAS-supported Congress is fundamental to ensuring open dialogue between all stakeholders. The 9th ICAAP encourages debate and dialogue as key elements of participation, among all Congress participants including delegates, sponsors, speakers and presenters, researchers and scientists, community representatives, leaders and the media.
Peaceful protest has always been and continues to be a key element of participation at the Congress. The IAS opposes the destruction of property or the use or threat of physical force by any individual or group of individuals during the Congress. The IAS opposes the disruption of Congress sessions or satellite meetings that results in the inability for dialogue and debate to take place.
Following the principles as stated by the International AIDS Society in previous congresses, you are required to observe the following:
- All participants attending the 9th ICAAP are subject to the laws of the Republic of Indonesia.
- The 9th ICAAP will provide support and space for meaningful participation including community involvement to enable a broad spectrum of viewpoints.
- Peaceful protest is a form of participation supported at all congresses, however, action that involves the use or threat of physical force or the destruction of property may contravene the laws of the Republic of Indonesia.
- The 9th ICAAP local organising committee encourages dialogue among and with delegates prior to action that may result in disruption of participation. Advice and assistance in facilitating dialogue and resolution and in preventing or de-escalating a disruption will be available.
- The 9th ICAAP local organising committee reserves the right to withdraw the name badge, and therefore deny access, to delegates who do not adhere to these principles.
Procedures involving Disruptions within Sessions and Satellite Meetings, the Exhibition Hall and Congress Venue
Session Slide: In session halls, a slide will be available which reads “Please respect the right of the speaker to be heard and of other delegates to hear the speaker.” In the event of verbal disruption, the Chair of the session may signal the audio visual technician to display the slide. The slide may remain displayed until the disruption has died down. If there are further disruptions, the slide may be displayed again.
Engagement Representative: It is recommended that all exhibitors designate a representative for engaging in dialogue with peaceful protestors prior to any situation arising.
Application of the law: The 9th ICAAP delegates are subject to the laws applicable in the Republic of Indonesia. Physical force or threats of physical force or destruction of property by delegates will be dealt with in accordance with the laws of the country. In addition, the response may include the escorting of participants from the Congress venue.
Withdrawal of Accreditation: In the event of disruption or action that does not respect these Principles; the 9th ICAAP local organising committee may withdraw a delegate’s accreditation and name badge and suspend or cancel the delegate’s access to the Congress.
Accreditation Appeal: If a delegate feels that he or she has been wronged in the withdrawal of his or her accreditation, the delegate will have 24-hours to appeal to the 9th ICAAP local organising committee for reinstatement of the accreditation. Appeals will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Public statement: In the event that property is destroyed or physical force is used or threatened by a participant, the IAS and ASAP may issue a statement concerning the action within the framework of the Principles and Values of Congress Participation.
Other Procedures and Measures for Supporting Participation
The 9th ICAAP will offer or provide other measures to support or facilitate meaningful participation.
Sessions Participation: The 9th ICAAP program will include features in sessions and activities to provide opportunities for various viewpoints to be expressed and for dissenting voices to be heard, as key elements of the IAS commitment to enhanced participation and dialogue.
Prior Dialogue and Consultation: The 9th ICAAP local organising committee encourages dialogue among and with delegates prior to the Congress and prior to any action that is contemplated and that might result in disruption of participation. The IAS will consult with activist and advocacy organizations, sponsors and organizers, and other participants on policies and measures to increase and facilitate participation.
Networking and Meeting Space: The 9th ICAAP will provide space in the Congress venue to facilitate and support dialogue, discussion, and networking. These spaces include meeting rooms, an official networking area, a lounge for persons living with HIV (PLHIV lounge), and informal networking areas or zones.
Security Policy: a Congress security plan and/or policy that will be available to sponsors, exhibitors, activists and others interested in promoting congress participation in a safe, secure environment.
Security Sub-Committee: The 9th ICAAP will have a Security Sub-Committee which will serve as a forum for Congress sponsors, exhibitors, co-organizers and activists to share information and views and provide advice on the Congress security policy and related matters, in advance of the Congress.
Bali Convention Centre
- The Theme of the 9th ICAAP is "Empowering People, Strengthening Networks"
- The 9th ICAAP scholarship application is closed
- 9th ICAAP Call For Film Entries
- Freedom of Expression
- Update on Congress Programme
- 9th ICAAP Pre Congress Community Forums
- The Bali Youth Force (BYF)
- Regular registration deadline extended to 14 June
- Submit your late-breaker abstract!
- 9th ICAAP Launches Congress Programme
Menara Eksekutif 8th Floor Jalan MH Thamrin Kav. 9
Phone: +62 21 39838845/46
Fax: +62 21 39838847